Sunday Service
Wow! My first experience at Green Memorial was fun, moving, and at times slightly uncomfortable. I found a lot I could relate to spiritually. Those pieces that I felt challenged by can be overcome (by me), I think, by changing the language just slightly.
When I first arrived, I felt a little nervous as I always do walking into something I know very little about. However, I immediately felt welcomed. Members of the church were very friendly towards newcomers (of which there were a few) and loving toward each other. Many hugs, smiles and gentle touches were shared as the church goers got settled in. The service began with a beautiful song that further displayed this welcoming value:
Welcome into this place,
welcome into this broken vessel.
You desire to abide
in the praises of Your people;
so we lift our hands,
and we lift our hearts,
as we offer up this praise unto Your name.
You can hear a version of this song here: https://www.youtube.com/watchfeature=player_detailpage&v=xwCJvAIabGY
Emphasis was also placed on the ability to celebrate. This was talked about specifically by the Reverend but also through the way the congregation worships. At times, it was not unlike going to see a show. We were singing, dancing, shouting, laughing, raising our hands. People seemed to be celebrating not just their love of God, but being together in community, the the sun shining on our faces this morning, in the simple fact of waking up this morning.
Another value which relates to the former, is gratitude. Being grateful for the simplest things such as just waking up to another day, having enough food to eat, having clothes on your back but also for the people in our lives that challenge us, for the obstacles that force us to look deeper within and work harder.
Another value that I could very much relate to is something I call, right livelihood and the Reverend called, doing good work. The idea being that what you spend your time doing should benefit others, not just put a paycheck in your hands.
So much was covered in just this one service. Did I tell you this services was over two hours long? I may have to save some of my personal insights gained from this experience for another post later this week. Until then!



1 Comments:
Sonya,
I really enjoyed your blog and all of the pictures you added to it. I really liked how you talked about your first experience at the church it sounded like a fun time. I loved how they talked about gratitude for the little things in life. So many times in life it seems that people take the little things for granted like having food and shelter because people are so concerned with wanting more than what they have. I think peoples lack of gratitude especially in America comes from the fact that most people live such a fast pace life and are too busy to stop and think of all the things they have and are given.
Samantha
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home